The human body’s protein is composed of around 30% collagen. This means it is an essential and vital type of protein that we need. The problem with this is that although our bodies need collagen to keep strong, healthy, and young-looking appearance, the natural production of this protein begins to decrease as we get older. This is where collagen supplement comes into the play.
This external source of collagen will help your body look and feel young once again. With a daily dose of collagen, you may even counter some wear and tear that your body has gone through such as visible reduction of scars, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Moreover, the daily consumption of a collagen supplement will make you feel younger on the inside too. This is because collagen aids in muscle and joint relief, something a lot of older people can relate to. If you purchase the right collagen supplement, you’ll feel the difference and improvements both inside and outside of your body.
Types of Naturally Occurring Collagen
To better understand how important collagen is in keeping our bodies young, fit, and healthy, it is imperative to know the different types of collagen found in the human body and what their functions are. Although there are at least 16 different types of collagen found in the human body, the majority of it is classified as Type I, II, and III. We will discuss these in detail here:
Type I – This is the collagen type that is found most abundantly in human body. It is the type of collagen that makes skin firm.
Type II – This second type of collagen is found in joints. It is responsible for allowing joints to move smoothly and when the body lacks Type II collagen, it causes joint aches and pain.
Type III – This is the second most abundant collagen type in the human body. This collagen type is responsible for giving us that “plump” and supple look when we are younger.
As we age, the amount of collagen in our body also drops and this results in chronic joint and muscular pain as well as wrinkles and various other signs of aging that are seen and felt.
Collagen Buying Factors
To counter these unwanted signs of aging, you should look into finding the best collagen supplement in the market. It is easy to be confused about what to buy, especially if you have no experience in purchasing supplements. Here is a short guide on what to look for when buying collagen supplements:
Consider the Supplement’s Bioavailability
The bioavailability of a supplement refers to the percentage of substance or active ingredients in a supplement that can actually be absorbed by the body. This is a major factor to consider because it will be useless to purchase the most expensive collagen supplement if its bioavailability rating is not great. This means your body will not absorb the necessary nutrients it needs from the supplement.
Ingredients and Formula
Not all ingredients or mixture of ingredients work well together. There will be some additives that do not react well with the main ingredients. When it comes to collagen, here are some of the best ingredients that it comes with:
- Vitamin C
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Amino Acids
Determine the Source of the Collagen
When it comes to collagen supplements, they are most likely taken from an animal source. The three most common animal collagen sources are:
- Cow or bovine
- Pig or porcine
- Fish or marine
Cows are considered as one of the best sources for collagen supplements because of their size. This makes collagen production easier and cheaper, which means it is more accessible to consumers like you.
Furthermore, you should note that the best bovine-sourced collagen comes from a 100% grass-fed, pasture-raised, non-GMO cow that has not been administered any growth hormones or antibiotics. By taking a note of this, you can assure yourself that you are not ingesting any harmful chemicals when taking collagen supplements.
Consider the Brand
When it comes to purchasing supplements, the brand does matter. Take into account what the brand is known for. Are they known for their gluten- and soy-free supplements? Are they known for providing the best results in the shortest time?
Is this brand strict with its standards of providing consumers with the best and safest collagen supplements? Consider these aspects and you will be able to narrow down the specific brands of collagen supplement that you will most likely be happy with.
|Vital Proteins Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides||$$$||4.6/5|
|Premium Collagen Peptides||$$||4.4/5|
|Neocell Super Powder Collagen||$||4.5/5|
|Great Lakes Gelatin||$$$||4.7/5|
|Dr. Collagen Multi-Collagen Protein||$$$||4.5/5|
|Now Foods UC-II Type II Collagen Veg-Capsules||$||4.3/5|
|Natural Force® Collagen Protein Grass Fed Collagen Hydrolysate||$$||4.6/5|
|CollaTrell Bioactive Peptide Formula With Collagen||$$||4.8/5|
|youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula||$$||4.2/5|
|Flamingo Supplements 100 Collagen Gummies Type I & III||$||4.4/5|
The Top 5 Best Collagen Supplements
Now that you know the basics of what collagen is, what it does, and most importantly, what to look for when shopping for collagen supplements, it’s time to get more specific.
Here’s a list of some of the highly recommended collagen supplements that you can find in the market. After reading through this list, you might just be able to choose a collagen supplement that’s best for you.
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
No matter how you look at it, beauty and aesthetics play an important part in life. For this very reason, supplements are very popular among most people. Both men and women are searching for the best ways to keep themselves looking young while also feeling fit. Aging is something we cannot stop, but we can delay the negative effects brought by the aging process.
One of the best ways to combat the physical aspects of aging is through collagen supplement. It’s not a secret but it is unexplored by many people. In this short review, we will discuss the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, its different features as well as advantages and disadvantages that come with this brand of collagen supplement.
- Uses only Brazilian, non-GMO, grass-fed, pasture-raised bovines
- Kosher approved
- Soluble even in cold liquids
- Promotes healthy and youthful skin
- Promotes strong and thick hair and nails
- Helps maintain strong bones and joints
- Great for a balanced diet
- Recommended by the Whole30Program
- Mixes well with most hot and cold liquids
- Virtually tasteless
- Results visible in weeks
- Great for rejuvenating skin, nails, and hair
- Reduces fine lines and other skin blemishes
- High-quality bovine collagen
- No additives and chemicals
- User approved and recommended
- Tried and tested brand
- May not be suitable for people with sensitive sense of taste and smell
- A few drops of flavoring may be needed in some cases
- Allergic reactions have been reported
- May interfere with body’s natural hormones
Although some negative reactions have been experienced by a few users who have tried the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, it is still one of the most recommended brands for collagen supplements. It is very affordable and mixes well with most foods and drinks.
Most users have reported positive changes in their external appearance and overall health. This is a collagen supplement that is worth trying if you haven’t yet found the one that works well for you.
Sports Research Premium Collagen Peptides
Maintaining healthy bones, functional joints, and acheless muscles is a challenge for many adults, especially for those who were very active in their younger years.
This is because their joints, bones, and muscles were exposed to lots of wear and tear and their bodies can no longer produce enough collagen to keep up with their lifestyles. This is where using collagen supplements such as Sports Research Premium Collagen Peptides comes in handy.
Here, we will talk about the different important features of Sports Research Premium Collagen Peptides, the advantages that it offers, as well as some of the disadvantages that you need to be cautious about.
- Comes with necessary nutrients and amino acids
- Eases digestion and promotes gut health
- Best for weight maintenance
- Vitalizes bones, joints, hair, nails, and skin
- Helps in muscle recovery
- Paleo diet friendly
- Sourced from non-GMO, pasture-raised, grass-fed cows
- Mixes well with most drinks
- 100% hydrolyzed gelatin
- Sports Research 90-day money back guarantee
- Counters the decrease of collagen production
- Helps in joint pain relief
- Addresses dry skin and brittle nails, making them stronger
- Promotes a healthy digestive system
- No chemicals used when raising cows
- 100% grass-fed and non-GMO cows used for source
- No BPA detected in containers
- High-quality product
- Well-known and trusted brand
- Brand has strict standards
- Collagen does not alter taste of the food or drink
- May not interact well with food that has a strong flavor
- Not suitable for people with sensitive sense of taste and smell
- Has some packaging issues
- Some containers arrive half-full
- Allergic reactions may occur
- Results and effectiveness may vary from person to person
If you’re looking for a collagen supplement that is highly recommended by consumers and sticks to a strict manufacturing standard, then Sports Research Premium Collagen Peptides can give you this and much more.
It’s an affordable collagen supplement that is very easy to mix with drinks and food. Taking it daily will not be a problem at all. Kick start your collagen consumption with this supplement and your body will thank you for it later.
Neocell Super Powder Collagen
Sticking to a healthy lifestyle and a strict diet helps you in keeping yourself fit, but sometimes that alone is not enough to counter the effects of aging. Collagen is the secret to looking and feeling young and many doctors and users of collagen supplements will agree with this statement because they have seen the effects firsthand.
If you are constantly dealing with chronic muscle and joint pain or you have noticed that your skin has started to wrinkle and sag in places it normally does not, it may be time to look for a collagen supplement.
In this review, we will discuss the Neocell Super Powder Collagen and its features to give you a better idea of what you will be consuming if you purchase it.
Here, we will also talk about the advantages and disadvantages of this product so that you can make an informed decision. Let us find out if this is the collagen supplement that will work best for you.
- Helps maintain healthy nail beds
- Thicken hair and lessens hair fall
- Helps in restoring elasticity of connective tissues
- Promotes good blood circulation
- Increases wound healing capability
- Great for skin hydration and increasing skin firmness
- Helps in building and improving the bone matrix
- Clinically tested product
- Paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and soy-free
- Sourced from non-GMO and grass-fed bovine
- Healthier skin, nails, and hair in just a few weeks
- Drastically improves gut health for better digestion
- Makes weight management easier
- Reduces chronic muscle and joint pain
- Promotes faster and healthier injury healing
- Tasteless and easy to mix with food and drink
- Trusted source for beef based collagen
- No additives and chemicals used when raising cows
- Great for paleo, gluten-free, and soy-free diets
- Results may vary
- May require a blender to mix thoroughly
- May cause allergic reactions
It’s not easy to find a collagen supplement that meets everyone’s standard and the same thought should be kept in mind when buying the Neocell Super Powder Collagen. It has changed the lives of many users for the better in just a few weeks and it’s very affordable. The product may not work for all users, but you will never know if you don’t give it a shot.
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate
Many people take collagen supplement for the wonderful effects it has on one’s physical appearance. However, those who have been using the supplement regularly for some time will agree that the best effects it offers are those that cannot be seen.
From relieving muscle and joint pain to promoting digestion, supplements such as Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate are the go-to supplements for many aging adults.
In this review, you will learn more about Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate and what it offers to consumers like you. Here, you will also have a better understanding of the pros and cons of using this product regularly.
- Helps in replenishing natural collagen
- Regulates metabolism
- Increases athletic performance
- Faster muscle recovery
- Aids in tissue building, cell growth, and collagen repair
- Creates enough synovial fluid for joint lubrication
- Made from pasture-raised and grass-fed cattle
- Single serve unflavored packets
- Superior quality from a superior and well-known brand
- High-quality and trusted brand
- Excellent packaging
- Very soluble, even in water
- Quick and noticeable effects on skin, hair, nails, etc.
- Relieves muscle and joint pains
- Eliminates fine lines and wrinkles
- Lessens sugar cravings for better weight management
- Promotes muscle recovery and better sleeping
- Reaction to supplement varies
- May lead to stomach cramps
- Some may experience allergic reactions
- May cause rise in body temperature or hormonal imbalance
The Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate is one of the most popular and highly recommended collagen supplements available in the market. Its unmatched and superior quality makes it stand out amoung other brands and it is worth trying, especially if you are not prone to allergic reactions because the results are just amazing.
Dr. Collagen Multi Collagen Protein
If we could always stay young and vibrant, we would. However, that’s not the case at all. Growing old is a part of life and it is not something we can put a stop to, but we can delay the negative effects of aging on a human body. By taking collagen supplements on a daily basis, you can effectively counter the signs of aging that we desperately want to avoid.
This review will cover Dr. Collagen Multi Collagen Protein and what it can offer to potential users like you. Let us find out what you can expect when you start using this product.
- All-in-one supplement
- Blend of chicken, fish, bovine, and egg collagen
- Contains Type I, II, III, V, and X collagen
- Aids in tightening, toning, and rejuvenating muscles, tendons, and joints
- Makes skin look healthy
- No antibiotics and growth hormones
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Thicker and healthier skin and nails
- Blemish-free skin
- Addresses leaky gut concerns
- Helps in maintaining a healthy and balanced diet
- Relieves pain and tension from muscles and joints
- Sourced from different types of animals
- Effects are seen faster
- Gives users a boost in energy
- Easy to incorporate in food and drinks
- Promotes healthy lifestyle that is easy to maintain
- May cause allergic reactions
- More people are allergic to fish, chicken, and eggs
- Has a stronger taste because of the mix of collagens
- Not suitable for people with sensitive and weak stomachs
For those who want to try a collagen supplement that has more than one collagen sources, Dr. Collagen Multi Collagen Protein may be the best brand to try. It is pricier than other brands mentioned above but it does have rave reviews from the majority of people who tried it. If you do not have any chicken, fish, or egg allergies, this collagen supplement is definitely worth a try.
It would take a miracle to stop the aging process. However, with the help of collagen supplements such as the ones mentioned above, you can delay it. Say goodbye to everyday worries such as chronic aches and pains or formation of wrinkles, fine lines, or other signs of aging and say hello to the beginning of your hunt for the best collagen supplement.
Once you’ve found the right one, make sure that you never let it go and take it as regularly as possible to make its effects on your health and appearance last a long time.